Here is a quick DIY how-to instructions to create a faux wood wedding sign. This rustic wedding sign looks great and adds an elegant message to welcome your guests.
1. Purchase the digital file from our Etsy store and input your info and save file
2. Take the file to FedEx Office or Staples and get color prints of front and back (18x24")
3. Get supplies you will need: scissors, double-sided tape, exacto knife, metal ruler (or a straight edge), foam core board, cut to slightly smaller size than 18x24" (we cut ours to 17x23")
4. Put the foam core board on top of the printed front design and tape down using an adhesive like double-sided tape. Do not use a liquid based glue as it might wrinkle the paper. Make sure you center as best as possible (see below.)
Now you are going to basically just wrap the front around the foam core then tape down the sides to the back of the board, then tuck all the edges on the back with another wood print to give it a clean tailored look.
5. Now cut the corners out, slightly on an angle, going inward. You will be folding the edges of the extra paper inward so we are getting rid of any extra paper. We recommend drawing out the cut lines in pencil as a guide. See cut corners below.
6. Fold extra paper in and on to back of foam core board. Fold in all sides. Then tape it down using double-sided tape. See below.
7. Backer -- get the printed backer and cut it slightly larger than the white space it is going to cover. You are going to put this on top of the folded extra paper that just wrapped the foam core board.
Once you tape down the backer print, here's what it wlll look like, back and front -- turned out pretty well, right?
If you want to hang this sign, you can just add a string or ribbon (we used twine to go with the rustic wedding look) and taped it down before we close-taped the top back of the print out.
Then it will look like this (see below), ready to hang and welcome your guests!